Leupold & Stevens, Inc., is an American, family-owned, fifth-generation company that has been designing, machining, and assembling precision optical instruments and other products for 110 years. Founded in 1907, Leupold’s® success has been built on our commitment to our customers’ absolute satisfaction, and our commitment to building the best optics for the shooting sports, general and wildlife observation, and the military and law enforcement communities.
It’s a decidedly American story: one century ago in 1907, a young German immigrant named Fred Leupold set up a one man shop at 5th and Oak Streets in Portland, Oregon, repairing optics for surveying equipment. Leupold & Stevens is still family owned, though our focus has turned from surveying to helping people all across the globe survey their environments with the innovative, high-performance sports optics and accessories.
A lot happened in between. Fred Leupold was joined by his brother-in-law, Adam Voelpel. Later, an ingenious and prolific inventor and consulting engineer named John Cyprian Stevens became a partner in the business. The small company survived the First World War and the Great Depression. But it was the Second World War that would change the company forever. Working with the U.S. Army on a riflescope and the Navy on optics for use aboard ships, the engineers at Leupold learned the secrets of waterproofing and durable construction that would completely change the world of sports optics.
Today, Leupold optics are renowned for their unchallenged ruggedness, absolute waterproof integrity, and their vastly superior optical quality. A century of observation and optical experience has gone into every binocular and scope we produce, and we think the results are well worth the extra effort required to achieve this level of quality.
In true American style, the philosophical foundation laid in our early years served as a template for the company as we’ve grown and changed over the decades. In fact, the firm’s founder established the clarity of purpose that we see at Leupold & Stevens today:
”We solemnly promise never to let down on quality, the customer is entitled to a square deal.”
– Markus Friedrich Fred Leupold
The Leupold & Stevens Foundation was established in 2002 by Leupold & Stevens shareholders. The mission of the foundation is to provide financial assistance to selected non-profit organizations in Oregon and southwest Washington. The primary areas of giving are Health & Human Services, Science & Education, Arts & Culture and the Environment.
The Leupold & Stevens Foundation is trustee managed and directed and does not accept requests or solicitations for financial support.
Leupold & Stevens sustainable practices:
- Robust recycling program for paper, cardboard, plastic, batteries and electronic equipment
- Recycle 40,000 gallons of production chemicals onsite each year
- Recycle 100% of production scrap metal
- Eliminated lead from all products
- Gold Level member of PGE’s Clean Wind Program. In 2015 the clean wind power we purchased reduced our carbon foot print by 1,185,243 kWh (see attached photo for more info).
- 2016 participant in Energy Trust of Oregon’s Core Strategic Energy Management program. A year long program focused on low cost / no cost energy savings opportunities.
- Washington County Green Business Award recipient (August 2016)
- L+S donates over $300,000 annually to the L+S Foundation supporting organizations such as the Oregon Environmental Council and Audubon Society of Portland.
- Tobacco free campus
- Wetlands and walking trail improvements